Sunday, September 14, 2014

Home@Stirling - IKEA KALLAS seat bench for play area

I've sold my IKEA outdoor rattan chairs away and did a seat bench for my little boys. The seating capacity remains more or less the same and I gained more storage under the bench this way!! It's definitely a more storage seating solution for a new play area for the kids.

Above: Here's how it looked BEFORE and AFTER the seating bench is finally completed after weeks of procrastinating at getting the fabric and bringing it to a shop to have it upholstered.

And because I'm quite the shopoholic, although i went into the fabric shop knowing I only had one kind of fabric to buy, I ended up buying 3 different fabrics! One for the seating bench and 2 others for cushions. I'm really pleased with the origami japanese print one which I've customised a cushion cover for it. The other one is a really cute giraffe print which I haven't taken a photo of it here...perhaps another day.

At the shop I was really debating about whether to have a teal or a grey print for the seating bench. After a really really long while, I decided to get the grey one and I'm quite pleased it turned out ok. Guess I don't really want too many colours in the play area huh.


Here's a close up on the seating bench fabric which i had gotten. The baskets are from IKEA. Currently they are all empty!!! So i really have loads of storage space for toys in time to come.
Jules already trying out his new seating bench! He was really excited about it and he loved the window sill a lot. He makes believe that the window sill is a train track and he "choo choo"s his trains there.
Jules and his thomas train by the window sill
i wouldn't call it an IKEA hack since many people have already done it and the kallas shelving serves more or less like a storage solution and the whole thing was not totally transformed into something quite different, it's simply a KALLAS shelving unit with a cushy top. :)

So yeah.
Hope everyone enjoyed this little post on my home!

xoxo
velle

8 comments:

  1. Hi, your little corner looks so cosy! Would like to ask where did you customize your bench cushion? I got a sette next to my shoe cabinet and would like to consider something similiar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ash, thanks! The bench does makes it more welcoming for the little ones. :)
    I had it done at Jimmy Textiles Tanjong Katong Complex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there, I love the fabric/print of your bench cushion. May I ask where you got it from? Is it also from Jimmy Textiles? Thanks in advance for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trish, the fabric is from Spotlight (plaza singapura). :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Velle, thanks much for your reply! I checked out Spotlight before your reply and found one in darker grey. Would have much preferred a lighter grey like yours but I'm not complaining, thanks for sharing and here's wishing you and family a blessed new year! =)

      Delete
  4. Hi, looking great . Can I know how much you paid for the customised cushion seat ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent! Thanks for providing such a great article. You can also read our blog : Photo cushion

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...